Welcome to Servebolt! This article will help you getting started properly with your Servebolt powered site on our Bolts.
- Create an account
- Create a site
- Migrating over your site
Create an account
If you’ve not already created an account, registering one is super easy and can be done right here.
After you have created your account, you can then create your first Bolt – we offer Free Bolts for testing as well by the way. If you’re not familiar with what a Bolt is, you can learn more about that here. Learn about creating your Bolt here.
Once you have your Bolt set up, it’s time to create your first site!
Create a site
There are two different scenarios when you have just created an empty site:
- Creating a fresh and new CMS installation
- Migrating over an existing site
Installing a new CMS
Before you start this process outlined below, it’s good to know you’ll need the database credentials as well. You can find them at the bottom of your the email you have received when you created a site on your Bolt.
When you are starting from scratch, you’ll have to install your preferred CMS like you would normally do per the given CMS’ instructions.
In most cases, in order to do that, you’ll have to upload your CMS to the
/public folder. You can find the information to connect to your site via SFTP in the confirmation email you have received upon creating your site.
- Connecting to your site. In order to upload your CMS files – learn more about which CMS we offer besides WordPress, Drupal and Magento here – you’ll need to connect to your site with an FTP client first. Learn more about how to do that here.
- Once you’ve successfully connected to your site, it’s now time to upload your CMS files.
Installing a CMS using the CLI
Alternatively, you use the command line to install your CMS of choice. You’ll need to connect to your site via SSH first.
If you want to install WordPress or Magento 2, we offer command line tools specifically for those CMSes as well.
Migrating over an existing site
When you already have an existing site and you want to move it over to us, you’ll need to physically move over the database and CMS files. There are two ways of doing this:
- Do it yourself
- Use our Migration Service
Do it yourself
If you want to take care of migrating your site over yourself, you’ll most likely need a backup of your current installation or create a direct transfer from your current server to your new Bolt powered site.
- We offer various tutorials on migrating sites over in our help center here.
- Optional: we support Git as well and if you already have your site in Git version control, deploying your site via Git is the easiest way.
- In you have migrated a WordPress site, you’ll have to cleaning up as well. Learn all about it in our Optimizing WordPress on Servebolt article.
- Lastly, you’ll need to import your database as well. Learn more about how to import your database here.
If the above options are too technical for you, feel free to make use of our free migration service outlined below.
Using our Migration Service
We offer a free and white-glove migration service to get you moved in properly. Feel free to reach out to use here and submit your request. One of support agents will contact you and help you move in properly.
Give us your feedback on this article
Did this help you?
Want to speed up your site, easily?
Set up your site on Servebolt, free of charge for 60 days, and see for yourself how fast it can be on our extremely fast hosting.
A faster site converts better, ranks better on Google, and is better for the climate.